Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sweet Potato Onde (Sweet Potato Glutinous Rice Balls)

Malaysians are very partial to their local tea time treats and desserts, and being a Malaysian, I am no exception. Some of our local tea time treats and desserts are simple and quick to whip up whilst there are some which require a bit more work due to the number of steps involved. This particular version of "onde" uses sweet potato instead of just flour. The sweet potato gives it a natural sweetness as well as colour. Furthermore this is simple to work and in terms of buying the ingredients pretty economical. I love eating onde because they are bite size and I usually end up popping at least half a dozen in one sitting. Ooops ... I think I've said too much already!

SP onde 6


SP onde 4


SP onde 1


Sweet Potato Onde (Sweet Potato Glutinous Rice Balls)
Recipe from Amy Beh

Ingredients:

150g sweet potato, cubed, steamed until soft and mashed
200g glutinous rice flour
1/2 tsp salt
100ml water
1 Tbsp tapioca flour
100g finely chopped gula melaka (palm sugar)
200g grated fresh coconut (white part only) and 1/4 tsp salt, then steam for 5 minutes and leave to cool.

Method:

1) Bring water, salt and tapioca flour to a boil over low heat. Keep stirring until almost transparent.

2) Pour the mixture immediately into the glutinous rice flour in a largemixing bowl. Stir till it is well absorbed. Add the mashed sweet potato andmix well to form a dough. If dough is too soft, add a little moreglutinous rice flour. If it is too dry, wet your hands and knead the dough.

3) Divide dough into two and roll each portion intoa longish roll. Cut into small pieces.

4) Bring water to a boil in a deep saucepan. Roll the pieces of dough into small balls with your palms. Then flatten the ball and put about half teaspoon of the sugar mixture in the centre.

5) Pinch to seal, then roll againinto spheres. Drop the balls into boiling water until they float to the surface (about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes).

6) Remove the cooked balls with strainer.

7) Roll in grated coconut to coat. Serve whilst still warm.

SP onde 2


SP onde 3


SP onde 5

11 comments:

CaThY said...

looks so yummy! :)

j3ss kitch3n said...

my favorite snack if i can get my hands on them! the gula melaka is making me drool!

Edith said...

My favourite minus the coconut. hahahhaa.... the stall at maxwell rd refused to sell me without the coconut. After some coaxing, i only pathetic able to buy one box. He asked me, without coconut how to eat. I proved him wrong. hahaha

Honey Bee Sweets said...

I love how you serve these in a cup, heehee, so cute! Mmm...oozing gula melaka...very tempting!

ann low said...

I love Onde Onde and used to buy at this popular stall in Maxwell market.
I definitely like to try your beautiful recipe :)

Anonymous said...

I lurrrve ondeh-ondeh! That shot of the oozing gula melaka is definitely a winner ;)

Zurin said...

your onde onde are so pretty Jo. And love the cups n spoons. such pretty colours all!

tigerfish said...

I love onde onde...esp the inside. ;p

pigpigscorner said...

Love this too and it's so addictive!

Aimei said...

I like those that is small and just one bite and all the hula medeka burst out. Missed the ones from malacca. By the way, where dud you get the two cups? Very nice colour. :)

Jo said...

Hi all, thanks for dropping by.

Edith, you should like the advert on telly. Remember the guy who ordered char kway teow and asked the guy to take out the taugeh, hum, etc and ended up with the noodle only. Haha!

Hi Jess, the gula melaka is from Malacca, the real stuff.

Hi Ann, I know that stall. I love their steamed tapioca cake, so soft and lots of shredded coconut. Yummy!

Hi Ai Mei, got the cups from Daiso. I get some of my props from there .. nice and affordable. Everything is $2 only.

Related Posts with Thumbnails